Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Emotional eating in check!

Emotional eating is the most common & difficult challenge among weight loss hopefuls. I am preparing some posts specifically about emotional eating & tools that have helped me. Tonight I would just like to share with you that I am doing very well. I've realized achieving your goal physique is similar to putting a puzzle together. I've enjoyed success with each new puzzle piece and sometimes temporary frustration when another piece can't be found or doesn't fit. But with persistence all puzzles can be completed & enjoyed!

Our lives move at an unprecedented speed. The stresses, demands, ambitions, needs, responsibilities, etc all play havoc on our emotional state. When we are so worn down by the mere speed of life and something delicious enters our view we feel grateful for the reward! "I need this!" and "I deserve a treat!" runs through our mind as we begin to enjoy the mere anticipation of such pleasure!

I admit most of the times I've over eaten or over rewarded myself have been in moments of frustation related to parenting. When it feels like all hell is breaking loose a carton of ice cream can be so satisfying, until my escape is over & I feel worse than before. Brian Tracy, one of my new favorite authors, says that bad choices are easy to make, but hard to live with. Successful choices are hard to make yet easy to live with. How true this is! It is so easy to choose to throw caution to the wind & go out to Chili's, ordering whatever our appetites demand! But, when the scale won't lie to you, you feel sluggish & unproductive, and those pants are cutting of your air supply, life is harder & you're frustrated with yourself for making that choice.

I support the occasional trip to a restaurant or bowl of your favorite frozen flavor. However, those of us who have to jump the hurdle of emotional eating have to discover tools to help us navigate these opportunities. My friends, never stop working on your puzzle. Each mistake is a valuable lesson to learn about yourself! I promise life is much easier to live when the right choices are made. We can achieve our goals and we'll be healthier & happier in the process! Here's to your health & happiness!

No comments: